Varna Summer International Music Festival, founded in 1926, is one of the oldest festivals in Europe. It has won international recognition and is a prestigious forum for Bulgarian and world classical music and performing art. The programme includes symphony concerts, opera, ballet, chamber music, early and contemporary music, masterclasses and conferences. The annual festival supports young talent and promotes new works and collaborations between local and international performers and artists. It is held in the period June – September.
The Festival has multi-genre character and includes the following modules:
- Core Program – symphony and chamber music
- International Summer Music Academy
- Music Lab – Varna
- Renaissance and Baroque Music
- Opera and Ballet
- Intermezzo – in partnership with the “Varna Summer” International Theater Festival
- “Varna Summer for Kids” – series of educational concerts
- Parallel Program – exhibitions, films, conferences and others
In its more than 90-year long history the Festival has impressed with the presence of soloists, conductors, symphony and chamber orchestras, choirs, opera ensembles, ballet companies from around the world.